Thursday, May 26, 2011

Synchronized Text Editor Configuration

One of my most common pieces of advice is to get familiar with a text editor, configure it to your liking, and use it for everything!  I'm partial to Vim, but my advice applies to any configurable text editor (*cough* emacs *cough*).

Configuring your text editor can be a very time-consuming process and there's nothing worse than having a different configuration on all of the various computers you use.  My recommendation is to keep your text editor configuration in version control (e.g., subversion, mercurial, etc.) as a way of maintaining your preferences over time, as well as keeping your configuration consistent on every computer you use.

I keep my .vimrc under version control in Github as a way of sharing it:

https://github.com/radarku/kvim

The reason I chose Github is this great article about keeping all your Vim plugins up-to-date using Git submodules:

http://vimcasts.org/episodes/synchronizing-plugins-with-git-submodules-and-pathogen/

No comments:

Post a Comment